Amanda-Users

Setting filetape sizes

2006-03-07 09:44:19
Subject: Setting filetape sizes
From: Wayne Johnson <wdtj AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 06:34:50 -0800 (PST)
I am using filetapes for backups.  I have a 120GB Raid array that I back up to another 120GB single drive.  Unfortunately, I've started getting an error during the nightly backup:

  taper: tape daily20 KB 4194272 fm 8 writing file: No space left on device
  taper: retrying devserv:/common.2 on new tape: [writing file: No space left on device]
  taper: tape daily21 KB 0 fm 0 [OK]

I assume this is because the new files on this "disk" are larger than the filetape volume.  I figured 4GB would be plenty for a file volume, but someone added a new directory with 9 GB of data.  Oops.

What is a good size to use for filetape volumes?  Can I change these sizes after I've started using them?  What would be the best way to get out of the situation I'm in?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

---
Wayne Johnson, | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 P! enn Ave. N. | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003 | then, have it your way." --C.S. Lewis

Yahoo! Mail