Amanda-Users

Re: Intelegence of amflush

2006-02-23 08:14:33
Subject: Re: Intelegence of amflush
From: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:03:55 +0100
Hi Paul!

Thanks for the answer!

Paul Bijnens wrote:

... What version of amanda is that?

Amanda-2.4.4p3

Did you specify "taperalgo largestfit" in the amanda.conf? Or any other?

I will check that, probably not, because I dont remember this parameter.

How many "runtapes" do you have?

1, a DDS3 DAT drive with DDS3 DAT tapes.

I guess that if you have only one runtape, and autoflush, then amanda
starts a flush, while doing the estimates for the current run.  It
could well be that amanda does start indeed the large, probably not-fitting image (because that is the only one to choose from, even
when largestfit is choosen), before the first nightly dump image is
finished.  In that case, it will indeed fill up the only tape.

Partly, yes. My holding disk is big enough so that the amdump runs after
the one that produced the "too big" image produced 2rd and 3rd level dumps
but they all stayed on the disk, because of the one thats too big and
allways choosen to be flushed first.

My collegue, which was at least trained to read the amanda mails, swap
tapes and start an amflush by WebMin commands (home made), did what
he was trained and tried to flush after he got the "out of tape" message,
but this didnt work .... see above.

When there is only one image to choose from, Amanda will take that one,
even if it will probably not fit.  Changing that will make many other
users of Amanda unhappy, e.g. those using hardware compression because
their tape length is just a wild guess of the truth, or even me, because
I underestimate the tape length a bit, so that amanda has a few percent
margin with estimates being smaller than real dumps (that's why I get
tapes filled with 106%).

That's perfectly o.k. . But im my case there where about 25 images to choose from.

I was thinking about an "error recovery strategy" by "remembering" that this image introduced an error last time, so if there are several others, skip it first and give the others a try so that they get a chance to find their way to the tape ....

But anyway, I have allready changed the disklist so hopefully in two or three days the new split up "disks" will be backed up .... until it strikes next time.

Bye, Peter
WOTLmade