Amanda-Users

Re: LTO2 Drive / Linux anyone ?

2006-02-10 16:19:12
Subject: Re: LTO2 Drive / Linux anyone ?
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:13:11 -0500
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:47:51PM -0500, Guy Dallaire enlightened us:
> We're curently using a 5 slot DLT IV tape changer. I'm getting an
> increased amount of errors and the tape drive is quite old now.
>
> We're considering the purchase of s single LTO2 drive.
>
> We're using amanda 2.4.5 on centos 4.2 without problem
>
> Kernel is  2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp
>
> Gnu Tar is 1.14
>
> I would like to know if any of you is using a similar OS for the
> amanda server, having succes with LTO2 drives and the drive
> manufacturer/model you are using.

I'm using RHEL3 at the moment with 2.4.5p1 and a Centrance (now Quantum) 1U
rackmount LTO2 drive. It's got room for a second drive in it and only cost
about $2200. Way better than the $3500 HP wanted for a refurbed, 90-day
warranty to replace the LTO1 drive that died a month out of warranty.

The speed is a little slow on the 1U, but they have a 2U that is faster.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics