Amanda-Users

Re: Migrating to Amanda, question 2

2006-02-10 13:28:58
Subject: Re: Migrating to Amanda, question 2
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:22:21 -0500
On Friday 10 February 2006 11:42, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
>At this point my situation is pretty hopeless and I need to
>accellerate the BRU -> Amanda migration, so question 2:
>
>CentOS 4.2 or Fedora4?
Essentially this doesn't matter, but see below.
>Kernel:
>CentOS  2.6.9-22                      FC4  2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
Again, doesn't matter, I've used every linus kernel since forever,
currently 2.6.16-rc2.

>tar:
>CentSO  tar-1.14-8.RHEL4         FC4   tar-1.15.1-11.FC4

CentOS tar-1.14.* is known bad, I'm using 1.15-1 myself, with 1.13-25
installed as a fallback available with a rebuild/reinstall of amanda, a
6 minute job typically...

>Amanda:
>CentOS amanda-2.4.4p3-1        FC4
> amanda-backup_server-2.5.0b2-1.fc4

Using 2.4.5p1, most recent snapshot, no problems of note.  No experience
with 2.5.0 yet here.  For reasons of controlling the configuration, I
have never tried to use an rpm/deb of it, always built at least the
server from tarballs.  However one recently added debian based client
is running the debs of an older 2.4.4 with no problems.  YMMV, note the
caps.

>dump/restore:
>CentOS  dump-0.4b39-3.EL4.2   FC4  dump-0.4b40-2

Again, it doesn't matter because you should be using tar, not dump.
But thats a personal opinion, some are using dump/restore, but tar gives
you much more fine-grained control over what you are doing.

>Thanks!

You're welcome, I hope this helps.

>--
>Enrico Indiogine