Amanda-Users

Re: compress client best

2006-02-09 13:39:04
Subject: Re: compress client best
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:28:17 -0500
On Thursday 09 February 2006 03:24, uwe.kaufmann AT infoconsult DOT nu wrote:
>Dear Listers,
>
>yesterday I configured an amanda server with vtapes and client
> compression. Now I see that on both machines (client and server) a
> gzip process is running and I wonder why.
>
>The client "hercules" (a samba server, amanda-2.4.4p1-62):
>
>HERCULES:~ # ps aux | grep amanda
>amanda    /usr/lib/amanda/sendbackup
>amanda    /usr/bin/gzip --best
>amanda    /usr/lib/amanda/sendbackup
>amanda    sh -c /bin/tar -tf - 2>/dev/null | sed -e 's/^\.//'
>root      gtar --create --file - --directory /samba/QS
> --one-file-system --listed-incremental
> /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/hercules_samba_QS_0.new --sparse
> --ignore-failed-read --totals .
>amanda    /bin/tar -tf -
>amanda    sed -e s/^\.//
>
>The amanda server "minerva" (amanda-2.4.5-2):
>
>minerva:~ # ps aux | grep amanda
>amanda   /bin/sh /usr/sbin/amdump normal
>amanda   /usr/lib/amanda/driver normal
>amanda   taper normal
>amanda   dumper0 normal
>amanda   dumper1 normal
>amanda   taper normal
>amanda   /usr/bin/gzip --best
>
>The excerpt from minerva's disklist:
>hercules /samba/QS comp-high-tar
>
>The excerpt from minerva's amanda.conf:
>define dumptype comp-high-tar {
>    global
>    comment "very important partitions on fast machines"
>    program "GNUTAR"
>    compress client best
>    priority high
>}
>
>the dumptype 'global' only contains "index yes".

This should be fine unless another of your dumptypes has an overrride of
'index  no', after going to the trouble of including global.

>Any idea?
>Thank you and best regards
>Uwe

Don't forget, Uwe, that to the server, when backing up its own machine,
that machine itself is a 'client'.  The ideal scene is to have a copy
of gzip running on every machine at the same time in order to
parallelize the actions as much as possible, thereby saving the maximum
amount of time for the whole process, and if the drive is fast, to have
a better chance of its streaming continuously as opposed to stopping,
backing up a bit and then moving fwd just long enough to flush its
buffer.  This is called shoeshining, and for maximum drive and tape
life, should be minimized to the extent its possible to do so.

message by Gene Heskett are: