Amanda-Users

Re: permission question

2006-01-29 16:38:03
Subject: Re: permission question
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:22:26 -0500
On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 01:17:27PM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:

> > Also dump can do incremential dumps.
> > Does it do them filewise or just from
> > the uninterpreted disk content?
>
> Actualy that is up to the dump program itself,
> which I did not yet study in detail.
> But I believe it does it filewise, also because
> in most (all?) filesystem I know, there is
> no information that indicates which blocks of
> a file have changed.
>
> But I can imagine that filesystems would implement
> that too, considering the immense size of the
> current disks and filesystems...

I guess it could be done in the "soon to be released"
ZFS from Sun.  That file system maintains a 128bit
checksum on every block written for accuracy and error
correction on reads.

I could imagine a backup program using those data to
identify changed blocks and only saving modified blocks.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)