Amanda-Users

Re: Howto or crib for backing up two tape drives - amanda 2.5

2006-01-11 08:15:31
Subject: Re: Howto or crib for backing up two tape drives - amanda 2.5
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk, Amanda Users List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:05:40 +0100
Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator wrote:

When tape drive 1 (slot1) fills up I assume without any user
intervention the remainder of the data will backup onto tape drive 2
(slot2) be it external drive (Which I haven't concluded yet looking for
a minimum of 160gb media capacity!)

Yes indeed.  That means that the file that bumped into End-Of-Tape
will be put on the next tape, starting from byte 1 again.  Yes,
that means that the last, incomplete, image on tape 1 wastes some
tape, which be large for e.g. a 100 Gbyte image where the last megayte
did not fit.

As version 2.5.0b1 has New tape spanning features.

Instead of complete images, now (some) of the dumps are chunked on
tape too.  This means that only the chunk of a dump on the first tape
that bumped into end-of-tape is restarted again on the next tape.
With a tapechunk of 1 Gbyte, you never loose more than 1 Gbyte, no
matter the size of the complete dump image.

Note that to restore such a "chunked" tape image, you need Amanda tools.
So it is best to avoid tape chunking on those DLE's that contain amanda
stuff.

You can easily test these new features, even without using a real tape,
by setting up a small testenvironment, see:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Test_environment_with_virtual_tapes

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *