Amanda-Users

Re: DLE 'aliasing'

2006-01-08 21:02:04
Subject: Re: DLE 'aliasing'
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:53:01 -0700

--On January 8, 2006 8:03:46 PM -0500 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

from the man page the syntax of a disklist entry is defined as:

I couldn't find a man page for disklist...well, not on my system, but, there again, I'm realizing now it's probably amanda or amanda.conf. *headdesk*

  hostname diskname [diskdevice] dumptype [spindle [interface]]

Note the diskdevice is optional.
You have been using the device name as the diskname (I like to
think of them as DLEnames as diskname sounds like the device.

So you can have "host foo /home/u1" and "host bar /home/u1".
It is "host and name" which must be unique, not device.

You could even try some form of clarifying names:

   host /home/u1-a2m /home/u1 ...
   host /home/u1-n2z /home/u1 ...

Yup, that's more or less what I was going to do <dir>_a-m, <dir>_n-z -- see where that gets me as a start, if one the other or both times out still, cut them in half again. Keep repeating until I've got them pared down to what works.

BTW no possibility of A-Z or 0-9 or ???, just l.c. letters?

Yup just LC letters in this case. Restrictions on what the program creates. The subdirs are/were just getting too filled up to reliably backup w/o data timeout errors.