Amanda-Users

Re: vtapes and runtapes > 1

2005-12-30 04:24:08
Subject: Re: vtapes and runtapes > 1
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: gene.heskett AT verizononline DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:12:53 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 29 December 2005 05:03, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> >> ISTR I had a similar problem Geert, but that was because I'd
> >> somehow disabled my holding disk when I converted to vtapes.
> >> Fixing the
> >
> >I'm indeed not using a holding disk.
> >
> That begs the question then Geert, are you going to have one tonight?

No ;-)

> You see, the reason it failed after it brought in the next 'tape' is
> that once it had done that, it then discovered that since there was no
> holdng disk image to work from, it had no copy of the src tarball to
> retry a save of.  Since amanda isn't wired to repeat the whole
> disklist entry in the event of a failure, it has no choice but to send
> you a fail message.

IC...

> Some may say that this is a shortcoming of amanda, but I'm inclined to
> agree with the amanda design in this respect, as it can go on and
> finish the rest of the DLE list on the second (or more) tape its
> allowed to use by the runtapes setting.  If the DLE was truely too big
> for the medium, then it would sit there and use new medium each time
> until it had run out of runtapes, or usable tapes.  So if its a fail,
> there really isn't any use of a retry if the holding disk image is
> missing.

Unfortunately she never continued with the remaining DLEs, they are just
marked as `RESULTS MISSING' in the report.

Hence runtapes = 2 behaves exactly the same as runtapes = 1, exact that if it
hits end-of-tape on the first one, it wastes the second tape (by just storing
the end-of-tape marker there).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds