Amanda-Users

Re: SMB backups not recognised as SMB?

2005-12-29 12:42:32
Subject: Re: SMB backups not recognised as SMB?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: John Swarbrick <jswarbrick AT johnswarbrick DOT com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:36:29 +0100
John Swarbrick wrote:

I am getting "WARNING: 2kserver: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?" when I try to backup a Windows 2000 server using Samba and Amanda.

I have 10 hosts in my disklist file which are all running Linux and the Amanda Client. These hosts all backup fine. I have now tried adding a Windows 2000 server to the disklist, using the Samba format; this is my disklist entry:

 2kserver    //2kserver/d$    comp-root-tar

The server should be a Unix host running smbclient.  That unix host
then connects to //pchost/share to make the backup.

Hi Paul,

  Thanks for the reply!

  Sorry, I forgot to give the usual rundown of version numbers! The Amanda
server is running Amanda 2.4.4p3-1 on CentOS 4.2 (binary compatable with
RedHat Advanced Server). This is the server which has the tape drive and
Amanda server. Samba client is 3.0.21-2. All installed from RPM.

  I am trying to 'pull' files from 2kserver, which is Windows 2000.

Yes, indeed. That's what I'm trying to say.
Amanda backups with samba go through an Unix agent (which can be the Amanda server itself). So you have 3 machines, and the middle one needs to run smbclient (on a unix machine).

    Amandaserver    ==>    Unix-running-smbclient  ==>    WindowsPC

To make a backup of a share on WindowsPC you need this disklist entry:

    Unix-running-smbclient    //WindowsPC/share   comp-user-tar

You had instead:

    WindowsPC      //WindowsPC/share     comp-user-tar        # WRONG!!!

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *