Amanda-Users

Re: VXA-V23 taoe difficulties

2005-12-16 07:02:05
Subject: Re: VXA-V23 taoe difficulties
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:49:53 -0500
On Friday 16 December 2005 03:19, Peter Mueller wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Paul Bijnens wrote:
>> The tapes with servo-tracks ARE able to detect EOT: that
>> information is found in their servo-tracks.  (I'm not sure how/if a
>> damaged servo track can result in premature End Of Tape.)
>>
>> The helical scan type drives detect End Of Tape as a hard write
>> error on the same spot.  They cannot distinguish the real end of
>> tape from a hard write error.  Some of the drives seem to guess the
>> end of tape by measuring the spindle speed of one or both the
>> reels, but can only approximately indicate "near" end of tape.
>
>Where are the old days, when ANSI tapes had these metal patches to
> indicate BOT and EOT ....  ;-)

Dunno, but FYI, the DDS tapes have about 1/16" diameter holes for
optical detection of BOT & EOT, about a foot back from the leader
splice on either end.

I saw that when it failed and ripped the tape in two on one drive back
in jurrasic times.

>Bye, Peter
>WOTLmade

People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this
address: <gene.heskett AT verizononline DOT net> which bypasses vz's
message by Gene Heskett are: