Amanda-Users

vtape, new config

2005-12-12 14:18:06
Subject: vtape, new config
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:00:46 -0500
Hello,

We are considering purchasing a RAID array to use as vtape for
our amanda config.

The idea, ideally, is to have the vtape information online. We
are also hoping to periodically, weekly, have a run to the tape
drives.

Are their hooks/procedures already available that might allow me to
move the level 0 dumps from vtape, or have them retained in the work
area and then flushed weekly ? Rather than performing a separate
amanda run/second amanda config of always level 0 to tape ?

At the moment the config - which has been discussed before, is this.

hostR - all partionions in the config that are REMOTE to the server.
hostL - all partitions that are local to the server.

You can thing of these partitions are being UFS vs NFS available to
the amanda server, do not confuse this with using NFS for amanda
backups - we use normal client/server protocals.

hostR and hostL do not complete for network and they write to
separate jukebox/tape-drives. These run 5x/week.

We also have a 3rd config, run once/week to backup all partitions
as level 0.

We would like to remove the 1st 2 configs in favor of a single config
that will utilize VTAPE on RAID.

We can continue the 3rd config, of if there is a method eliminate it
in favor of a procedure to move to tape the level 0 dumps created by
the VTAPE 5x/week procedure.

Odd - I just looked back as some of the amanda reports.

I'm seeing the two 5x reports totaling aprox 410 Gig/week and the
weekly level 0 running about 560 Gig. I must have the weekly setting
the dumpdates when it does its work and only getting the occasional
level 0 on the hostR/L configs. We backup a total of 52 partitions,
of course we continue to add and they continue to grow in utilization.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org