Amanda-Users

Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option

2005-12-10 14:47:59
Subject: Re: new feature: client-side, server-side encryption dumptype option
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:33:24 -0500
On Saturday 10 December 2005 12:12, Kevin Till wrote:
>Hi,
>I have added a dumptype option, "encrypt".
>Code has been committed to the sourceforge,
>rpm will be available next week on www.zmanda.com.
>I have updated the encryption section on :
>http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_server#Server-side_and_Client
>-side_encryption
>
>At the same time, I have also incorporated Matthieu Lochegnies's
> custom compress patch. Now that you can specify your own compression
> program. Information is added to
>http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_server#Custom_Compression

<curmudgeonly grumpy sound>  This is not, in my opinion, a good patch
to turn loose in the hands of a joe sixpack or an expert.  And I'm
afraid I might make some enemies here too, darn it.

The patch itself may be great, Kevin, BUT Bzip2 isn't anywhere near as
dependable as gzip.  If it somehow misses a byte in the recovery, the
rest of the file is toast, or, and I've had this happen often enough
to know its not _just_ a coincidence, like in unpacking a kernel.org
kernel dl'd in .bz2 format, one or more whole subdirs of the kernel
tree will go missing!  Without reporting an error of any kind.  Blow
the tree away and unpack it again, and it will be there.  Its done
that to me 5 or 6 times now, and I finally gave up and won't dl a .bz2
if the .gz is available

No, I don't trust bzip2, and if the option is there, someone will use
it, and then cuss and publicly blame amanda when the recovery blows
up.  And it will at some point, guaranteed.

No reflection on Kevin is intended as he can probably outcode me any
day of the decade, but to use bzip2 in a backup, its got to work
scenario?  No, nyet, zip...  I'd have to be committed & certified.

>AMANDA.CONF(5) man page is also updated with the information.
>
>I have tested it on different configuration, performing amdump,
>amrestore and amrecover:
>a) client-compress, server-encrypt
>b) client-compress, client-encrypt
>c) server-compress, server-encrypt
>
>Please use it and send us your feedback to
>http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=8
>Thanks!

People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this
address: <gene.heskett AT verizononline DOT net> which bypasses vz's
message by Gene Heskett are: