Amanda-Users

Re: Alternating dump cycles for offsite storage

2005-12-01 21:42:21
Subject: Re: Alternating dump cycles for offsite storage
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:30:26 -0500
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 03:15:04PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 at 8:05pm, C Shore wrote
>
> >I'm wondering if amanda can handle having two different configurations
> >which are used on alternating two week periods.  I know I could set up
> >DailySet1 and DailySet2 and a crontab that ran DailySet1 for the first
> >two weeks of the month and DailySet2 for the next two, but I'm not how
> >well amanda will deal with the two week gap between dumps.
>
> Hrm.  It seems like:
>
> dumpcycle 4 weeks
> runspercycle 12
> tapecycle 14

What does two "identical" configs buy you that you don't get from
a single config where 1/2 the tapes are moved offsite bi-weekly?
Or even better (IMNSHO) a dumpcycle of 1 week with 1/4 of the
tapes moved offsite weekly.

As to how well amanda will handle the 2 week gap, I'd guess badly.
I base that on reports of people who have things like a 1 week
dumpcycle, but dump only 3 (MWF) or 5 (M-F) times a week.  After
the weekend gap, the Monday dump is always unbalanced.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)