Amanda-Users

tar and hardlinks

2005-11-22 06:08:54
Subject: tar and hardlinks
From: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:58:05 +0000
Whenever I recover to a directory other than the one the original
files were, sometimes I get warnings about hardlinks. How are
hardlinks handled by tar? I suppose it only stores one copy of the
file, and saves a link from the second to the former. If I choose to
recover a certain directory, not containing the other file hardlinked
to, I also get the same warning. The problem is that the file is
missing!

Is there a way to make tar store hardlinked files in duplicate, as
well as the information they are hardlinked?

In my case, this usually happens when recovering cyrus imap mail
folders. Mails sharing the same message-id are hardlinked. The problem
happens whenever I recover a single mailbox, containing mails
hardlinked to other mailboxes.

Thanks,

Rodrigo Ventura

--

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
***  Web page: http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda