Amanda-Users

Re: Backup by inum

2005-11-10 22:33:32
Subject: Re: Backup by inum
From: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:12:13 -0500

2005/11/10, Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>:
Hello,

I wonder if there is a set-up for Amanda to back-up files by inum
rather than by filename.

The reason would be the following: I have one machine that receives
all syslog possible for each and every of my Unix hosts. Syslog logs
are rotated every night and I keep them for one year, the total size
is about 13 GB. Due to rotation, file all.0.gz becomes all.1.gz, file
all.1.gz becomes all.2.gz etc. Files do not change a single bit, only
their filename change. But still Amanda ends up backing up all the
files every night because f the change in name which is obviously a
lost of time and of tape.

You could put the rotated logs in a different directory (say a directory named "backed_up_logs" and exclude this directory from the backup.

Ex: you have a directory named "logs" and a directory named "backed_up_logs", when comes the time to rotate a log, you move it to the backed_up_logs directory. The new log will get backed up, not the old ones.

It's ugly, but it should work...