Amanda-Users

Re: Changer problem

2005-11-09 10:48:47
Subject: Re: Changer problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:42:12 -0500
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 04:55:42PM +0200, Samuel Chetty wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am experiencing a changer issue, when attempting to manipulate the
> tape changer (Overland Powerloader);
>
> Examples;
>
> %amtape my-conf-name eject
> amtape: slot <none> not ejected: cannot determine first slot
>
> %amtape my-conf-name reset
> amtape: could not reset changer: cannot determine first slot
>

> Can anyone help with a resolution please?

When making a request like this it helps to tell some of the config details.
While the hardware you are using is important, I'm more interested in the
software.  What OS, what amanda version, what changer script, ...

Not armed with that info I looked throught the source for "not ejected".
Appeared several times.  Then I looked for "cannot determine first slot"
and found it only in chg-zd-mtx.  So after that I checked the location
of the message.  It is part of an 'if' statement,

        if [ $firstslot -lt 0 ]

That suggests to me that you did not read through the comments at the
start of chg-zd-mtx and set up the changer configuration parameters properly.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)