Amanda-Users

Re: more problems with dumper/taper/flush retries failures

2005-11-09 07:17:02
Subject: Re: more problems with dumper/taper/flush retries failures
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 07:07:33 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 at 6:26am, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote

< I'm having a LOT of problems right now with failed retries and to me
it makes no sense that amanda should not be able to dump/tape or flush
an image of a DLE weather it's in the holding disk or still sitting
remotely on a client, knowing that client-server communication is
established, the DLE can be stuffed in a tape, data timeouts are

Yours can't be.  See below.

within limits, etc. My understanding is that amanda should try very
hard to tape a DLE but right now it drops the puck fairly easily
without much fighting. My take: if a client DLE hits EOT amanda should
at least retry once more and not simply go on to the next DLE.

That's exactly what it's doing.  It tried twice, then gives up.

OK, sorry, problem follows, excuse my venting.../>

I have this client DLE that refuses to be taped. It's in the holdding
this however (~80GB) and trying to flush the failed dumped I get the
email output from amanda:
*snip*

NOTES:
 taper: tape stk_40-conf7-000025 kb 81303232 fm 1 writing file: No space left
on device
 taper: retrying yorick:/data/mril/mril5/bojana.0 on new tape: [writing file:
No space left on device]
 taper: tape stk_40-conf7-000026 kb 81267648 fm 1 writing file: No space left
on device
 taper: retrying yorick:/data/mril/mril5/bojana.0 on new tape: [writing file:
No space left on device]
 taper: tape stk_40-conf7-000017 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]

So, it tried writing /data/mril/mril5/bojana to stk_40-conf7-000025, but it hit EOT after writing 81303232 KiB. So, it cycled to the next tape (stk_40-conf7-000026) and tried again. This time it hit EOT after writing 81267648 KiB. At that point it gave up on /data/mril/mril5/bojana. It then cycled to the next tape (not really necessary), but, finding no other images to try to write, finished. Simply put, that image is too big to fit on your tapes.

If you think that shouldn't be the case, you need to find out why it's happening. Do you have both software and hardware compression enabled?

This isn't amanda's fault -- it's doing the best it can to get that image on tape. It just won't fit.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering