Amanda-Users

Re: Dell Ultrium 3 tapetype

2005-10-26 12:41:12
Subject: Re: Dell Ultrium 3 tapetype
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jason Castonguay <jcastonguay AT solutionsforprogress DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:37:11 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 at 4:06pm, Jason Castonguay wrote

define tapetype Ultrium3 {
        length  414386 mbytes
        filemark        1889 kbytes
        speed   10881 kps
}

Not that it's used by amanda for anything, but your speed seems awfully slow. I don't know if that's a symptom of amtapetype or not (LTO3 drives are fast compared to *hard drives*, never mind your standard tape drive), but to get my LTO3 drives to run anywhere near their rated speeds I had to use a blocksize > than amanda's default 32K. To do *that*, you'll need to use the --with-maxtapeblocksize flag at configure time. I'm using 2M blocks.

Would it be a good idea to round any of these values down?

Generally it's not a bad idea to round the tapelength down a bit, especially if you find yourself hitting EOT frequently.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering