Amanda-Users

Re: estimate timeout

2005-10-10 10:33:41
Subject: Re: estimate timeout
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Shai Ayal <shaia AT biocontrol.co DOT il>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:15:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 at 9:20am, Shai Ayal wrote

I have a FC2 amanda 2.4.4 server with 2 linux clients. The server is using vtapes for daily backups. It all ran very nicely for many months until we ran out of disk space in the server. After a few days of bad backups due to full disk, we installed an additional disk, moved some of the virtual tapes to it using symlinks, flushed the old backups etc... and sat back to enjoy amanda at work.

However:

While one client is being backed up perfectly well, the other keeps getting estimates timeout. On this client, everything seem ok except for showing 2 amandad processes during estimates, one of them defunct -- I attach the 2 amandad debug reports.

On the server I have set an etimeout of 300 which should be enough, but even bumping this to 7200 did not help.

I have no firewall on client and server

Are you sure about that? /etc/sysconfig/iptables is empty and/or 'chkconfig --list iptables' says "off" for all runlevels? That's a very non-standard setup. I've seen behavior like this:

amandad: time 0.025: running service "/usr/lib/amanda/sendsize"
amandad: time 349.398: sending REP packet:
*snip*
amandad: time 359.415: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 359.415: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 369.413: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 369.413: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 379.412: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 379.412: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 389.410: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 389.410: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 399.409: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 399.409: waiting for ack: timeout, giving up!

on my systems where iptables allows established connections, but > 300 seconds timed-out what was considered "established".

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering