Amanda-Users

Re: General "Daily" vs. "Daily Incremental" - Total execution time

2005-10-07 06:26:28
Subject: Re: General "Daily" vs. "Daily Incremental" - Total execution time
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:58:09 +0200
Vera wrote:

recently we have modified the general daily configuration(default amanda config) to perform only incrementals backup(thanks to the ideas posted in this mailing list). But ever since I noticed that the total process execution time has increased. And, frankly, this is not what I would expect, especially since total dumped data size has decreased. The tape device is PowerVault 122T Autoloader. All DLEs are "comp-tar" or so(backup with compression). I tryed to change some DLEs options to "no compression" but it did not help at all - total dumping time has increased. So, here are the questions - is this time increase is something expected? Is there something I could have missed? Are there any ways to reduce the total execution time? (currently about 17 hours for both amdump and amverify for about 200G). Any ideas about modifications to the config file and about the tape device?

Please show us in more detail, what changes you did to your setup and the report you get.

Maybe you see increased estimate-times, if your DLEs are rather static and you use a recent AMANDA-release, you could try using the new server-estimates.

But we will see more clearly, if you show us the reports etc.

--
Stefan G. Weichinger
AMANDA core team member