Amanda-Users

Re: about --with-tcpportrange --with-udpportrange

2005-10-06 23:14:59
Subject: Re: about --with-tcpportrange --with-udpportrange
From: David Leangen <dleangen AT canada DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:54:28 +0900

Just make sure that the ports are not already in use.

Check your /etc/services file for "usually" reserved ports. Also try:

 # netstat -a

and note which ports are being used already. Ports that are defined in /etc/services will be listed by name, while ports not defined in the file will be lists by number.

Personally, I used 700-712.

Cheers,
Dave

Cameron Matheson wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to get amanda to play nicely w/ my firewall, and so i've been reading the documentation on Port usage. I've carved out a large chunk of tcp ports for amanda (all in the unprivileged range... i'm assuming this won't be a problem? (i read that amanda will fall back on any port if it can't find any from 512-1023). Now i need to carve out about 4 ports for the udp. Is it necessary for me to put these between 512-1023? Can anyone suggest some sensible defaults?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson