Amanda-Users

Re: R: R: Question about changing Tape Drive

2005-10-03 16:17:14
Subject: Re: R: R: Question about changing Tape Drive
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:06:45 -0400
On Monday 03 October 2005 11:29, Montagni, Giovanni wrote:
>The thing i can't understand is why the tape created with the new drive
> works perfectly... Or you're saying that the old drive have never
> written tape?

No, what I'm saying is that the tracking interchange, eg where the
tracks are located on the tape, is sufficiently different from the old
one that the new one cannot read the old ones tapes, and very likely
vice versa.  Thats why I said to yell at the vendor, that drive is
out of adjustment  or the old one is so worn its out of standard,
either scenario is equally possible.  If, when the new drive has been
adjusted, it still doesn't allow interchange, then the old one is out
of whack, but since its equally out of whack for both writes and
reads, it will be able to read its own, possibly non-standard tapes.
But the new drive may not be able to read the old drives tapes (and
vice versa)

This is exactly the same scenario as when you are
trying to watch a tape in your vcr, and no amount of adjusting the
tracking will get rid of the noise bars in the picture.  The entrance
and exit guides are not matched in location from one machine to the
other, or the guides have grooves cut in them from the edge of the
tape passing by which allows the tape to wobble more than half a
track width, either error will cause this tracking problem. And its
only solveable by the replacement of the guides if worn and the proper
mechanical adjustments to these guides.  This of course involves
putting passes on a so called and very expensive (several
hundred dollar) standard tape while watching the signal playback on a
scope that is synchronized to the heads rotation.  Dealing in video,
service, I'm familiar and used to that, but I'd suspect the vendors
techs may not be that familiar with it.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: