Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-01 10:13:59
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:52:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 at 12:35am, Joe Rhett wrote

> I don't think this is the answer.  The real answer is that the filesystem
> it is trying to flush was 53gb in size when you put all the chunks
> together.  That won't fit on a 33gb tape.
>
> 1. Why aren't we backing up chunks to different tapes yet?  Amanda is the
> only backup software which doesn't handle this.

As has been mentioned (and as a simple search of the archives would tell
you), there is a spanning patch out there being tested by various folks.
You could be one of them.

> -and more importantly-
>
> 2. Why is it trying to back up 53gb to a 33gb tape definition?

This can happen for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes a DLE grows between
estimate time and dump time.  If you're using software compression and
it's a relatively new DLE (or the nature of the data changes), amanda's
estimate of the compressed size can be inaccurate.  It's *impossible* to
anticipate every situation, although I believe amanda does a pretty good
job.  I do agree, however, that the taping logic could be smarter when
images on disk are too big for either the tape or how much tape is left.

As an aside, I really think you need to rethink your attitude.  Your
subject line is incredibly unprofessional, as is your general attitude
toward the amanda community.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering