Amanda-Users

Re: Question about "data timeout".

2005-08-23 14:30:58
Subject: Re: Question about "data timeout".
From: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo DOT dk>
To: Amanda Users List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:17:51 +0200
On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 11:24 -0400, Matt Hyclak wrote:

> > > I may be totally wrong here, but I don't think it is tracking "idle" time.
> > > I believe it is total time to dump.  This would take care of "stuck" or
> > > "runaway" dump scenarios.
> >
> > The documentation says: dtimeout int Default: 1800 seconds. Amount of
> > idle time per disk on a given client that a dumper running from within
> > amdump will wait before it fails with a data timeout error.
>
> Yes, and that "per disk" is important. If you have a machine with 3 Disklist
> Entries (DLEs), it will wait 5400 seconds (90 minutes) for that machine.
> Another machine with 1 DLE will only get 30 minutes to complete.

I read it the way that each disk gets 1800 seconds idle (wait?) time
before a time out. That is if disk 1 uses 1 second of that time the rest
of 1799 seconds is "lost" and will not be added to the idle time of the
two remaining disks. I have 13 DLEs that should give me 6H 30M if this
theory is true, my data timeout happened after 3H 19M!

I had hoped that amanda would report how much idle time had occurred for
each disk.

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen