Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up mail spools (was Re: How do I deal with STRANGE backups ?)

2005-08-23 09:42:03
Subject: Re: Backing up mail spools (was Re: How do I deal with STRANGE backups ?)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:23:04 -0400
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:16:03AM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Monday, 22.08.2005 at 22:53 -0400, Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold wrote:
>
> > [ ... some are new mail messages coming in ... ]
>
> I've often wondered about this.  I back up the mail spools in /var/mail
> of the appropriate server and occasionally get a 'STRANGE' from it
> because one of the spools changes during the course of the backup job.
>
> What is considered the Correct Way to handle backing up files which are
> so dynamic?  Our mail spools are pretty quiet at the time the backup
> runs, but some of you out there must have more traffic than us ...
>
> My thoughts:
>
> 1. Just put up with it: spools that are changing will result in a backup
> which is probably not of any use once in a while.  This is probably
> fine, unless there is a large amount of mail coming in at the time the
> backup runs;

Just one point on this.  I don't think you get a backup that is useless.
It is my understanding that the "backup" is still ok; the problem is
that specific files within the backup are questionable.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)