Amanda-Users

Re: odd dump timeout symptoms

2005-08-17 10:05:35
Subject: Re: odd dump timeout symptoms
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:54:11 -0400
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 03:05:01PM +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >Search back over the list archives for details that I don't remember.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> >I think some have had this symptom when there was some sort of network
> >timeout setting that affected the index stream.  Not certain, but I
> >think it was a UDP setting for how long a connection could be open.
>
> UDP?  sendbackup streams back over TCP, surely?

As I noted, I was uncertain of the details, someone understanding more
about the networking aspects can comment more.  But just for clarification
of the way I worded that:

- I did not say anything about the backup data stream over udp
- Your logs showed it was the index backup stream having problem,
  not the backup stream (they are separate)
- I said the timeout setting "affected" the stream, I wasn't sure
  if it was the stream itself or not
- amanda does use some udp connections, perhaps for control communication

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)