Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with gnutar-lists

2005-08-15 12:18:33
Subject: Re: Problem with gnutar-lists
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:04:26 -0400
On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 09:36:27AM +0200, tanguy yoann wrote:
> I have two configuration two backup a share.
>
> 1) I backup the share the days of the week: monday to
> friday.
> Those backups are incremental. I do a full backup each
> two weeks.
>
> 2) I backup this share one time by week, on saturday.
> Those backups are incremental. I do a full backup each
> month.
>
> The problem is there is none difference between the
> level of the two configurations in gnutar-lists.
> What can I do?

I am not certain I fully understand the situation.
A few things for clarification:

- Are these two "shares" the same share being backed up by
  the two different configs, or are they different "shares"?

  I ask this because it is pretty common to do a second
  config for a file system for archive purposes (eg. monthly
  full backups separate from daily full and incremental) but
  those second configs are generally full only, not full and
  incrementals.

- Do you use the term "shares" because these are PC shares
  being backed up by amanda in some way?

- When you say there is "no difference between ... gnutar-lists",
  do you mean that there are two separate sets of gnutar-lists
  files but that they contain the same data, or that there is
  only one set of gnutar-lists files and the same set is used
  by both configs?

The rest of this is just thoughts that may not pertain to your
exact situation but you might consider them.

Breaking a single set of gnutar-lists into separate lists:

- run two sets of separately compiles copies of amanda, one for
  each config.  When you do the configure, before compiling,
  do it with the "--with-gnutar-listdir=XXX with different
  XXX's for each set

- In your separate compiles, or in your configs, you may have to
  specify different amandates file location so that each config
  can record the backup dates and levels in different files.
  I don't recall how this is configured.

- at the client end, specify two different "share names" for the
  same directory tree and backup each name in its own config.  If
  the shares have different names, they should get different lists.

- at the server end, in the disklist file of each config use both
  a diskname and a diskdevice, i.e. instead of:

        host /mnt/foo tar-user

  in both of your configs, use something like:

        host FooDaily /mnt/foo tar-user

  and

        host FooWeekly /mnt/foo tar-user

  in the other.  I think the gnutar-list names use the diskname, not
  the diskdevice so this may separate them.

- If these are PC shares, IIRC there are great limitations on what
  amanda can do for incrementals.  I think, for example, that only
  one level of incremental is possible.  And I "think" (large degree
  of uncertainty) that even that is done by messing with the archive
  bit on the PC files.  So it is possible that amanda's scheme for
  fudging incrementals on PC files may not be extenable to a second
  config.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)