Amanda-Users

taper ignoring tapelength

2005-08-08 14:31:25
Subject: taper ignoring tapelength
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:23:12 -0500
I've come to the conclusion that taper has no knowledge of (or
at least pays no attention to) tapelength.
  While modifying my disklist to back up more data from a local
rsynced copy of remote hosts rather than directly from the remote
host, I accidently ended up backing up a lot of the data twice,
causing a normally single tape config to consume 3 tapes.
  The config uses 100GB tapes, software compression only, and
plenty of holdingdisk so that nothing goes direct to tape.  My
tapelength is set to 98GB (determined through trial and error,
the earliest it has ever hit EOT was at 98.6GB).