Amanda-Users

Re: compression program

2005-08-08 08:31:56
Subject: Re: compression program
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:20:03 -0400
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 01:36:11PM +0300, Vects wrote:
> Hi there,
> Is there any way to set up amanda to use bzip2 or other program for
> compression on client/server?

Nothing in a standardized way.  Two ways you might do this come to mind:

You might be able to get amanda to use a gzip wrapper.
When you do a configure, setup your PATH variable that causes configure
to locate a copy of gzip in a location of your choice.  For example,
if you have a directory "/usr/local/libexec", copy gzip there.  Then
run configure as:

   PATH=/usr/local/libexec:$PATH configure ...

Then replace /usr/local/libexec/gzip with a shell script that calls
bzip2 with appropriate options.  Your script may have to change
the extension of any output file to .gz so later programs that
don't know to look for .bz2 can identify them.

The second, also untested, possibility is to run configure as usual.
Afterward, modify config/amanda.h with an editor.  There are several
defines in there related to gzip and compress.  Rework them to
the values you want for bzip2.  Like many of us, I run configure
from a shell script.  My script does some similar "post-configure"
editing to amanda.h and the Makefiles.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)