Amanda-Users

Re: got FAILED for no apparent reason

2005-07-12 08:07:53
Subject: Re: got FAILED for no apparent reason
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:50:44 +0200
Rodrigo Ventura wrote:
Hello. My backup system has been running smoothly for the last few
months. However today I got this FAILED dumps:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  gtisr      /usr lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from gtisr]
  gtisr      /boot lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from gtisr]
  gtisr      / lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from gtisr]
[...]

The debug logs at /tmp/amanda (in gtisr host) show no error, but their
presence show communication among server and client.

Any suggestions on where should I look to debug this occurence?

Could it be that the estimate took too long and the amanda
server did not wait anymore for a response for that client?
What is etimeout in amanda.conf?
If not specified, the default etimeout is 600 sec times number of DLEs
for that host.
How long did the estimate really take?   Have a look at the
timestamps in the amandad.*debug files where the sendsize is handled.

A timeout could also happen when an intermediate firewall (or firewall
on client and/or server itself) drops the UDP reply packet for the
sendsize request.  The default expiration is usually 300 seconds (for
iptables) or even 40 seconds (for FW1).

* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *