Amanda-Users

Re: Problems compiling Amanda on Solaris

2005-06-23 18:44:31
Subject: Re: Problems compiling Amanda on Solaris
From: Peter Kunst <pkunst AT imagnos DOT com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:32:06 +0200
Paul Bijnens wrote:

> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:04:42AM -0400, khalid maqsudi wrote:
>>
>>> Most solaris distro's default to system V version of make.  That would be
great if you added it to the docs.  Thank you.

[..]

> I'm not 100% sure (because I currently have not access to Solaris 10)
> but the actual error was that "ar" was not found by configure, hence
> the line in the problemreport:
>
> false cru ...
>
> Instead of "false" there should have been "/usr/ccs/bin/ar" and it is
> used to build the libamanda.a archive.
>
> So maybe it boils down to getting the PATH correct: putting /usr/ccs/bin
> into the path.  And maybe that's also a side effect of using
/usr/ccs/bin/make instead of another make, which does not alter the path
> for the subcommands.
>
> Anyone with access to Solaris 10 should test this:
> make distclean
> PATH=/usr/ccs/bin/$PATH
> ./configure --with-user=... etc
> make  (any version)
>
> And let us know if it works.

Paul, you're right. For builds, having /usr/ccs/bin (somewhere) in
PATH should be standard on Solaris anyways. On Solaris10/SPARC,
using

 amanda-2.4.5
 gcc-3.4.3 (sfw stuff, available from Solaris10 companion CD)
 gcc-4.0.0 works, too
 GNU make-3.80 (invoked with absolute path to binary, since SYSV make
 would be first in PATH with your test)

...wouldn't it be a good idea to integrate a check for a valid "ar"
into configure.in ?

 Cheers, Peter