Amanda-Users

Re: lvm and amanda?

2005-06-20 10:58:00
Subject: Re: lvm and amanda?
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:47:47 -0500
I thought I would respond to the various suggestions in one message and included my original message at the end for reference. I also realized that I wasn't clear when I displayed the permissions on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 device. When the machine boots, permissions are:

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 100 Jun  6 03:58 /dev/mapper

brw-------  1 root disk 253,  0 Jun  6 03:58 VolGroup00-LogVol00

and we manually change permissions to:

brw-r-----  1 root disk 253,  0 Jun  6 03:58 VolGroup00-LogVol00

And I do appreciate the responses even though this isn't directly an amanda problem.

Oscar

A workaround would be to use tar for your backups, either permanently or just until
you figure out where the ownerships/permissions get set in RedHat's LVM.

Frank

Thanks for the suggestion but in my dumptype, I am using tar.

I have a similar situation, but instead of changing permissions of special
devices (particularly RAID devices), which may be protected by SELinux,
I list the directories I want to back up in the disklist.

Florian

In my disklist I'm referring to the mountpoints, not the devices themselves:

grapher1.gw.utexas.edu          /       DLT-tar
grapher1.gw.utexas.edu          /var    DLT-tar

define dumptype DLT-tar {
        global
        program "GNUTAR"
        comment "No compression, using TAR"
        compress none
        maxdumps 2
}

define dumptype global {
        comment "Global definitions"
        index yes
        record yes
        holdingdisk yes
}

I know this isn't necessarily an amanda question, but I have a user who's setup two RedHat Enterprise 4 machines and used lvm. Unfortunately, the devices:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00

has permissions:

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 100 Jun  6 03:58 /dev/mapper

brw-r-----  1 root disk 253,  0 Jun  6 03:58 VolGroup00-LogVol00

and so amanda can't read these devices for backup.

We tried manually setting the groups to disk but on reboot the permissions get reset. We tried editing /etc/lvm/lvm.conf with a umask of 002 and setting the group "disk" on the directory on /dev/mapper but that didn't stick on reboot. Any thoughts on a permanent solution on setting permissions on these dynamically generated devices?

Any information would be appreciated.

Oscar