Amanda-Users

tapetypes

2005-06-17 15:32:18
Subject: tapetypes
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:25:52 -0500
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but what is the
fascination with generating tapetypes?  I thought all it
did was let amanda know much data could be expected
to fit on a tape.   Whether you run tapetype or just start
with the nominal capacity of the tape, you may still want
to tweak the numbers since not all tapes are the exact
same length and not all DLE and dumplevels compress
the same. If you strictly use S/W compression then
the actual capacity should be close the the advertised
native capacity of the tape, and if using H/W compression
it's more of a learned guess based on your experiences
with the overall compressibility of your data.   Either way,
you will probably end up with a number that is different
from the one that tapetype generates.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673