Amanda-Users

Re: Backup to Hard Drive

2005-06-16 14:32:21
Subject: Re: Backup to Hard Drive
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:24:02 -0400
On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:52, Cody Holland wrote:
>I'm a newb to Amanda, and would like to backup everything to a
> server running Raid0.  I'm sure this is very possible, I just
> cannot find any docs on it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Cody

See the FILE: tapetype in the docs

When its all setup, your directory will have a subdir for each of the
'virtual tapes' you've configured it for, and a link to the currently
active directory called 'data'.  Works pretty slick, I've been doing
it for about a year now to a 180GB partition on a single 200GB
commodity grade disk.  If the raid looks normal to an 'ls' listing,
then amanda won't know, or care that its a raid.

However, under recovery situations where you may be doing a bare metal
rebuild, I'd be a bit spooked of a raid as there is a possibility
under those total disaster conditions, that the raid may not be
available without a lot of pre-configuring of the md
driver.  /dev/hdd3 will always be available for the mounting of it
someplace suitable in a rescue situation.  However, thats just me
being ny usual paranoid :-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: