Amanda-Users

Re: no backups yesterday?

2005-06-06 18:03:49
Subject: Re: no backups yesterday?
From: sgw AT amanda DOT org
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:42:53 +0200
Hello, Cameron,

on 06.06.2005, 22:42 you wrote to amanda-users AT amanda DOT org:

C> I've been trying to figure out why one of my servers won't back up,
C> when i noticed that no backups were performed yesterday... no errors
C> in any logs, no emails, nothing.  is it normal for amanda to "take a
C> day off?"

Is it one of your AMANDA-servers or one of your AMANDA-clients?
Is it online (or was it online while you were trying to back it up)?

Sorry for asking, but do you really think that cron knows about the
concept of "taking a day off"?

(
        I silently assume that you have put some cronjob into your
        crontab, as suggested in
        http://www.amanda.org/docs/install.html ... (as some of the
        regular readers may have noticed, there is some documentation
        available at http://www.amanda.org/docs/index.html ;) ).
)

Software doesn't do what you want it to do, it does what you tell it
do.

AMANDA is software, not more, not less, so "SHE" won't "take a day
off" unless "SHE" is told to do so.

--

I am really sorry to sound like some annoyed core-team-member, but
right now I am feeling unable to hide my unknowingness of your current

..

Check if amdump really was executed (most likely via cron-job).
Check /tmp/amanda ...

Best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger.

mailto://sgw AT amanda DOT org