Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup speed issue

2005-06-06 11:36:57
Subject: Re: sendbackup speed issue
From: Chris Loken <cloken AT cita.utoronto DOT ca>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:27:09 -0400

Thanks. I'll take a look at amplot.

Link is actually gigabit so I'd expect it to do fairly well. The same DLEs have been backed-up for many months and typically got 10-ish (even up to 15MB/s) until the last couple of weeks.

Holding disk is 200GB so it's roughly double the size of the full backup for these particular configs.

   Chris

Paul Bijnens wrote:
Chris Loken wrote:

I have one amanda server and one client. I have 2 separate amanda configs to backup different DLEs on the client.

The problem is that backups with one config seem to be much slower than the other. The amanda tar files on the holding disk are being created at about 10MB/s with one config and 1MB/s for the other config. The tape writes are fine - it's the creation/transfer of the backup from client to server that is at issue.

You still have 4.4 MB/s for some server with large DLE in the "slow" category too. And that's not too bad for a 100 Mbit ethernet interface
either.

A good tool to dig into this problem is amplot:

    amplot -e amdump.1

It shows a lot of information.  E.g. it could be holdingdisk that
is full, pausing some backup, and making it's average throughput go down.

If you need help interpreting the output, send a xbm or gif or ps to me.

Chris Loken                     Phone: 416-978-5619
Computing Facility Manager      Fax:   416-978-3921
Canadian Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics