Amanda-Users

amverify error

2005-06-03 11:24:25
Subject: amverify error
From: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:07:27 -0400
This morning, I decided to try out an amverify on a full fump of all my servers.

I got:

Using device /dev/tape
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume ArchSet1-001, Date 20050602
Rewinding...
Checked produc-new._disk11.20050602.0
Checked gobelet._disk1.20050602.0
Checked produc._disk10.20050602.0
Checked lnx-que-amanda._.20050602.0
Checked produc-new._disk1.20050602.0
** Error detected (produc._disk3.20050602.0)
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: restoring produc._disk3.20050602.0
amrestore: read error: Input/output error

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/bin/gtar: Read 5549 bytes from -
/bin/gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive
/bin/gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
64+0 in
64+0 out

Meanwhile, my amcheck cron job started. Unfortunately, I was away from
my desk when the error occured, so I don't know if it happened at the
time the amcheck job started.

Could that amcheck job have cause the I/O error ?

This is a 5 slot DLT changer using chg-zd-mtx

If so, I wonder why amanda does not use some sort of locking mechanism
while the tape is in use, to prevent such errors.