Amanda-Users

Re: dealing w/ huge data backups

2005-06-02 18:50:37
Subject: Re: dealing w/ huge data backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:38:03 -0400
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 02:12:45PM -0700, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my amanda configuration is very simple, but running
> smooth.  as i continue to add more clients, i'm
> starting to wonder what the best way to go about
> things are... so far my 'runtapes' parameter is set to
> 1.  many systems should be able to fit on one tape
> (i'm using hw compression on tapes that hold a little
> over 100GB w/ no compression).  Anyway, the problem
> now is that i need to back up a system  that is
> 120GB.... i can split that up no problem (i'm just
> using tar anyway), but the question is would it be
> better to just bump up the 'runtapes' parameter to 2
> or 3 tapes,

Unless you are restricted, mentally or otherwise, to using a
specific set of tapes on specific days, there are no negatives
to bumping runtapes.  The extra tapes are not used unless
needed.  I find it particularly useful when I've forgot to
change the tape magazine and a weeks worth of backup is
on the holding disk.  One amflush and 3 tapes later it is
done rather than filling the one allowed tape and having
to run amflush a second and third time.

Even if you can fit the 120GB disk compressed on your 100GB
tape, I'd recommend splitting it into several DLEs.  That will
let amanda do its balancing act more easily.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)