Amanda-Users

Re: GNUTAR exclude lists not working in Windows or Linux

2005-06-02 04:59:29
Subject: Re: GNUTAR exclude lists not working in Windows or Linux
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:33:23 +0200
Joe Rhett wrote:

These systems I can test with to my heart's content, unlike those Windows
boxes, so tell me what you need to know.

OK, I'll jump on this.
I can assure you there is at least one configuration in the world where
the excludes do work.

First some general info needed:
Amanda version on server and client (is client the server itself too?)
Gnutar version of server and client?
And OS version of server and client?

To test and experiment with amanda, it's nice to set up a special
config for this, and the file-driver is perfect.  (we're testing
excludes, not tape drives.).  Create a new config for amanda,
e.g. "Test", which has it's own amanda.conf and disklist.
Configure the "chg-disk" driver for this configuration, see:
  http://www.amanda.org/docs/howto-filedriver.html

Now set up a little disklist too, backing up only a small directory
where you have complete control (create files or directories with
names you need to test.  And make sure the "amcheck Test" works
and a basic "amdump Test" works too.  Do not make the disklist too
large, so that "amadmin Test force" followed by "amdump Test" runs a
few minutes at most.
Do not add filesystems or directories to the disklist that
also are added in the production disklists. And if you really need
to, add "record no" to its disktype, to avoid interference with
your production environment.

Creating such a setup takes about an hour, but it's very handy
to experiment with amanda.  I mean, it's not a wasted resource for
the future either.

Once you have set it up, try to duplicate the problem.

I have already done that all here, and I cannot reproduce the problem.
That means there must be some difference between your config and mine.
We just need to get that nailed down.