Amanda-Users

Amanda client stopped working

2005-05-20 10:38:58
Subject: Amanda client stopped working
From: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:22:10 -0400
The problem I encountered yesterday with one of the clients continues:

amanda cannot get the estimates (and the backups) from a particular
client. There seems to be some sort of networking problem.

The client is in the DMZ, protected by the firewall.  I even
recompiled amanda to make sure it is using a predefined set of UDP
ports (850-859) and I looked at the firewall logs, no errors. I have
checked the dumper.1 log and the dumpers are using the UDP port in the
range specified.

Here is what I have at the end of the amandad debug files

amandad: time 74.672: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 74.672: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 84.682: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 84.682: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 94.692: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 94.692: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 104.702: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 104.702: waiting for ack: timeout, retrying
amandad: time 114.712: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds
amandad: time 114.712: waiting for ack: timeout, giving up!
amandad: time 114.712: pid 3499 finish time Fri May 20 09:34:48 2005

It looks like it cannot send estimates.

It used to work a couple of days ago. To my knowledge, nothing changed
in the network.

The strangest thing is that a similar client (same OS) in the DMZ is
doing just fine. It can communicate with the tape server.

I don't know where to look at.

I'll dump the packets with ethereal and see with my network admin if
we can do something.

Thanks