Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda install docs - daemontools hints

2005-05-18 17:31:15
Subject: Re: Amanda install docs - daemontools hints
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:20:42 +0200
Hi, Filip,

on Mittwoch, 18. Mai 2005 at 15:08 you wrote to amanda-users:

>> Do you use /etc/amanda instead of the common /usr/local/etc/amanda?
>> I have to adjust this then.

FR> You are right, should be consistent with the rest of the docs.

Edited this to $prefix/etc/amanda to be consistent.

>> Please tell me what that tcpserver-step does do, I don't have this
>> binary here and I am afraid other amanda-users don't have this one as
>> well.

FR> The tcpserver program (a part of ucspi-tcp package,
FR> http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html) is a standard TCP wrapper for
FR> daemontools-enabled servers.
FR> So I think you can safely leave it, as anybody using daemontools
FR> will probably have it anyway.

Yep, I once again replied before doing proper backchecks (trying to
reduce workload ... maybe a lame excuse ... ).

Left that in.

>> Same question for nc ....

FR> Standard daemontools setup does not assume setting up UDP services. So it
lacks
FR> an udp super-server. But many people I asked mentioned netcat:
FR> http://netcat.sourceforge.net/. Also the ucspi-tcp page mentions it.
FR> And, LBNL, netcat is packaged for most major Linux distros.
FR> So I use it for amanda server when I don't want to fire up (x)inetd.

Ok again, I just substituted "nc" with "netcat".

FR> I realize it may sound a bit messy, but actually it is "the Way":)
FR> If it's not clear - never mind - I'll publish a howto somewhere, with full
FR> explanation, to straighten things up:)

Please share your somewhere-howto with us.

I committed your notes to the current cvs-version of install.xml (as
alternative to (x)inetd, as suggested), they will be online at
amanda.org pretty soon.

Maybe you could also post your runfiles to
http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html ?

Thanks for contributing.

--
best regards,