Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: server.domian.co.uk: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2005-05-17 09:11:45
Subject: Re: WARNING: server.domian.co.uk: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:58:49 +0100
Chuck

so nothing in /tmp/amanda????

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Solid State Logic
Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

Chuck Amadi wrote:
I have nuked the source version of amanda and installed amanada version
rpm's 2.4.4 using Yast2 on SuSE Linux Enterprise server.

I have used chkconfig --list'  to see if amanda service is up or not
and it is there and also when I use Yast2 > xinetd services if not
and then I run # /etc/xinetd.d restart

I stopped SuSE internal firewall.

I've ensured and checked that the appropriate lines are in /etc/services:

amanda          10080/tcp  # Amanda
amanda          10080/udp  # Amanda
amandaidx       10082/tcp
amidxtape       10083/tcp

I've made sure that the amanda user does have permissions to run amandad by running /usr/sbin as amanda user this generated the /tmp/amanda
directory as I was getting Permissions Denied So rm -rf and restarted amcheck
as amanda
to re produce the /tmp/amanda dir
, and write to /tmp/amanda. Details below:

drwx--S---   2 amanda   users         576 May 17 13:28 amanda

-rwxr-xr-x  1 amanda disk 52631 Jul  1  2004 amandad

The FQDN is listed in /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts and in the disklist,
and in /etc/hosts as follows server.domain.smtl.co.uk.

I suppose I should mention that the server and client are the same machine, server.domain.co.uk.

Does anyone have any ideas? When I run the following

server:/usr/lib/amanda # su amanda -c "/usr/sbin/amcheck -c DailySet1"

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: server.domain.co.uk: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.003 seconds, 1 problem found

As I am back to this - going backwards. I have read and digested the doc's
but this is now getting frustrating .

My /var/log/messages info as below

server su: pam_unix2: session started for user amanda, service su
May 17 13:51:46 server su: pam_unix2: session finished for user amanda, service
su

Cheers

Chuck

the system manager.