Amanda-Users

Re: very interesting little problem.

2005-05-09 11:14:56
Subject: Re: very interesting little problem.
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 16:59:44 +0200
Sysadmin #1 started amdump this morning to correct a failed dump from last night. Sysadmin #2 needed to restore a file, and started amrecover on the backup machine. Sysadmin #2 was unaware of the running backup process and used amtape to change slots. OOPS, both sysadmins got really weird errors, not quite descriptive of the actual problem (that you cant dump and restore at the same time). Maybe a check could be

Actually, I have two tapedrives (used with chg-multi) and I do sometimes
restore while dumping or flushing... It is possible to dump and restore at the same time, when not using the same tapedrive.

So there could or (should ?) be a "device lock"  ?

As far as I tested it, any "amtape xxx" waits or errors out until the
tape is free.  No need for a "device lock", as that is already done
in the Unix kernel.

What error message  did they get that was confusing?