Amanda-Users

Re: Is it possible to configure amanda and inetd just for localho st?

2005-04-25 15:12:11
Subject: Re: Is it possible to configure amanda and inetd just for localho st?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:00:24 -0400
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:04:06PM -0500, donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
wrote:
> Vlad:
>
> Please review the Amanda archives for discussions of the pitfalls of
> using localhost as part of your backup configuration.  This is a
> subject that has been beaten into submission quite thoroughly.
>
> The short answer and general consensus from the Amanda community:
>
>       Don't do it!!!
>
> Donald L. (Don) Ritchey

I got the impression that Vlad wants to backup only one host,
the amanda server.  In that case, I don't think it is so bad
to use localhost in your DLE's etc.

Using firewall type software (ipfilter/iptables) or hardware,
couldn't access to those ports be restricted to the hosts IP?

Another brainstorming idea, most unix/linux systems allow one
network interface card to have multiple hostnames IP addresses
(virtual interfaces).  Perhaps you could setup a second, host
with open ports restricted to those amanda needs and don't
even touch the current setup.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)