Amanda-Users

Re: Error: dump larger than tape

2005-04-19 16:29:01
Subject: Re: Error: dump larger than tape
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Thomas Grieder <amanda AT moonsmile DOT ch>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:14:30 -0400

The problem is that amanda does not (currently) allow a DLE
(DiskList Entry) to span tapes.

The fully functional method is to configure amanda to use TAR
(only specific versions work properly) rather than the native
DUMP utility to dump the DLE.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 08:05:27PM +0400, Thomas Grieder wrote:
> Is it possible to backup large disk?
>
> I ask because I want to backup a disk with 300 GB to DLT1 or LTO1.
>
> The DLT1 is a backup library with 7 slots which works fine.
> The LTO1 is a sigle drive. I tried it as single drive an as
> chg-manual.
>
> I configured a holding disk with 12GB (I don't have more).
>
> Amdump always sends me this error:
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>    sun.moonsm /export lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than tape, 160459105
> KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk]
>
> Where is the problem?
>

> Thanks
> Thomas
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org