Amanda-Users

Re: Possibly dumb question.

2005-04-18 17:57:05
Subject: Re: Possibly dumb question.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Mike <miket AT silvercrk DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:50:17 -0500
--On Monday, April 18, 2005 13:50:55 -0700 Mike <miket AT silvercrk DOT com>
wrote:

> Under normal conditions should amanda try to fill each tape?

Amanada doesn't try to fill the tape, it tries to balance the amount written per
run. It generally does that well if you don't have DLEs that are very large
relative to your tape size.   While sometimes full dumps do get promoted (run
sooner than when next due) in order to help level tape usage, they won't all
get promoted to fill up the tape.
  One of my configs uses 100GB tapes that generally run between 45-55 GB
per run,  Before it was using 50GB tapes with a runtapes of 2, and most days
it just used one tape.

> I want amanda to dump whatever it can up until the limit set by tapesize.

I'm not sure how you would get it to do that, possibly adjusting bumpsize would
cause more promotions.

> I am keeping 30 "tapes" on disk, and burning the "oldest slot" to DVD daily,
> and re-labeling it (so it shows as a "new" tape). I just don't want to waste
> any space on the dvd, or have to think about it once I get it setup.

Unless this is for home use, the cost of media (tape, disk, or DVD) is nothing
compared with the cost of replacing lost data.  Backups have a tendency to
grow over time, so even if your DVD isn't full now, it probably soon will be.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673