Amanda-Users

Re: amanda ignores full backup

2005-04-05 01:25:04
Subject: Re: amanda ignores full backup
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Nina Pham <nina AT gibbons DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:21:34 -0500
--On Monday, April 04, 2005 21:51:19 -0700 Nina Pham <nina AT gibbons DOT com>
wrote:

> I wrote to this list once about my problem, but got no reply. I think I
> better explain some more.
> I have a redhat linux 9 machine running amanda server to backup some folders
> of its all and backup some folders of another client amanda machine running
> fedora Core 2. I have 2 configs setup on the server machine, one daily config
> (6 days/week,
> Tuesday will not use this config) which is running incremental backup, anothe
> config run weekly(on Tuesday) runs full backup. Everything from the server
> itself running correctly. Folders from the client machine are the one having
> problem. The size
> backup keeps growing even after the day running full backup. Any idea?
>
> In the daily set (incremental backup) I have
>     dumpcycle 7 days
>     runspercycle 6
>
>     define dumptype incremental {
>        hard-disk-tar
>        index yes
>        record yes
>        strategy nofull
>     }
>
> In the Weekly set (full backup) I have
>     dumpcycle 0 days
>     runspercycle 1
>
>     define dumptype always-full {
>        hard-disk-tar
>        index yes
>        record yes
>     }
>    I think my setup is correct since backup locally is running fine, but not
> the one from eth0
>
> dailyset disklist is
>     server1   /Shared     incremental     local                           #
> this is running fine
>     client1    /Mail         incremental      eth0
> # this has problem

Two possibilities I can think of:
First, can Amanda write the dumpdates on the client? If not, every incremental
will end up a a full, since it will all be 'new'.
Second, if your /Mail directory contains email, depending on the mailbox format
there may be no way to do an incremental.  For example, an Exchange sever puts
it all in one big database, so it is all new every day. The original unix
format,
where each user's email is just appended to a file named for the user, will also
appear as all new daily.  If, however, your mail program keeps each message as
an individual file then you should be able to have incremental's smaller than
your
full.
  There are debug files on the client (possibly in /tmp/amanda) that should
show what size was estimated for the current level and from the next higher
level.  Does it report the same size for both?

One other thing, do you use the same location for dumpdates for both configs?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com