Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration advise

2005-04-01 13:40:48
Subject: Re: Configuration advise
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:35:24 -0500
On Friday 01 April 2005 10:03, Belen Isla wrote:

[...]

>I have realized that isn't a good idea to change amanda's
> scheduling. I'm new using amanda so I have several doubts and I
> don't know exactly which is the best configuration option for me. I
> would like to backup a single partition of 200GB. Actually it's
> size is 45 GB, but it can be increased to reach those 200GB. There
> is a hardisk available for the backups of about 700GB so I have
> configured amanda to use virtual tapes. I would like also to set
> the dumpcycle parameter to 4 weeks (runspercycle=4) in order to do
> a monthly full backup and 3 incrementals in between.

Thats not, IMO anyway, a very good backup scheme.  The data may well
grow beyond its present 45GB if its got 200GB to grow into.

I personally would setup the virtual tapes by dividing that 700GB (a
raid I'd assume) into enough subdirs (vitual tapes) that it would be
filled up if all subdirs had say 10GB in them.  And then set the
'tapetype's capacity to about 9.9GB.  Dumpcycle 5 days, runspercycle
also 5, tapecycle is then however many subdirs you have made on that
raid.

Compose your disklist, prefereably so that no one individual backup
would ever exceed a gigabyte (I prefer even smaller, some of my 44
entries right now are probably under a hundred megs)  as the smaller
entries give amanda a better chance to juggle the schedule and get an
even fill of each virtual tape after things have settled down.

When you have the disklist composed, then start from the top and
comment out everything below that point where you get a rough mental
addition of about 8GB.  Amanda will then do a full on that 8GB
tonight.  Tomorrow, uncomment about another 8GB worth of entries,
doing the same thing each day until its all uncommented and actively
being backed up.

By the time the end of the tapecycle has been reached, you should have
a good idea of how much of that raid is being used, and if the last
run of the tapecycle is likely to overflow it, then just amrmtape
that last vurtual tape before its even used, you have enough backup
dumpcycles available anyway.

As you data grows, you can either begin to play space patrol from time
to time, getting rid of old duplicate or older versions of stuff, or
do another amrmtape on the last virtual tape.

Anyway, you will, if running it nightly, have the possibility of a
bare metal recovery to yesterdays state at any time.  Here, on
average machinery, I start amdumps wrapper script at 1 am, and its a
very rare night when it isn't done before all the 4am stuff starts
up.

> If the length
> of the tapes is for instance 175 GB, assuming that I'm going to use
> compression, then I can use only 4 tapes(tapecycle=4) and I suppose
> that is not convenient. Because of this I had thought in the
> possibility of using two types of tapes in the same configuration:
> big tapes for full backups and smaller tapes for incrementals that
> use much less space so I would be able to increase the tapecycle
> and keep the backups available more time, but it seems not to be
> the best option. Which configuration do you advise me to optimize
> my backups? And what about tapesize?

See above for a rough outline of how I would handle this.  OTOH, my
way isn't the only way to skin this cat either.  But "it works for
me(TM)"  :-)

>Belén.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: