Amanda-Users

Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy

2005-04-01 07:07:17
Subject: Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:55:26 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 at 5:24pm, Vicki Stanfield wrote

> I think what I am really talking about is the dumptype. I have the ones
> I listed defined. I think I might be confusing them with priority. I
> suppose the dumptype could only mean level of compression. But then I
> need more information about how Amanda decides what to back up when.
> I'll look back to the amanda.org site.

Every DLE is backed up every night.  The level depends not on the dumptype
(unless you've specified always-full or something like that) but on
dumpcycle and runspercycle.

dumpcycle=max amount of time before full (level 0) backups
runspercycle=number of 'amdump' runs per dumpcycle

You'll also need to coordinate these with tapecycle, which is the number
of tapes you'll let amanda use.  Generally you'll want
tapecycle>=1.5*runspercycle for error protection.  Note also that all of
the above assumes runtapes=1.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering